- Asphalt pavement is a popular choice for many commercial and residential properties because it is durable and attractive.
- Asphalt pavement installation is a big investment, so it’s important to understand what goes into the process.
- It requires little maintenance compared to other paving materials & can last for decades with proper care.
- Some of the most important maintenance tasks that you should perform on asphalt pavement include sealcoating, crack filling, pothole repair, and surface cleaning.
If you’re in the market for a new driveway, parking lot, or roadway surface, you’ve probably come across the term “asphalt pavement.” Asphalt pavement installation is a big investment, so it’s important to understand what goes into it. In this blog post, we’ll walk you through our step-by-step installation process and explain what each step entails. Let’s get started!
Steps Involved In Asphalt Pavement Installation
- The first step in installing asphalt pavement is to remove the existing pavement. This can be done by milling, full-depth removal, or partial-depth removal.
- Next, the subgrade is prepared. This involves compacting the soil to create a stable base for the new pavement.
- Once the subgrade is prepared, a layer of gravel is placed on top of it. This layer helps with drainage and provides a stable base for the asphalt.
- The next step is placing an asphalt layer on the gravel. This layer is typically about 2-3 inches thick.
- Once the asphalt has been placed, it needs to be compacted. You can do this with a roller or a plate compactor.
- After the asphalt has been compacted, fine gravel, sand, or both is placed on top. This helps to create a smooth surface for driving.
- Finally, traffic markings are placed on the new pavement to indicate where people should drive and park
Benefits of Asphalt Pavement
Most people opt for asphalt paving their driveway or parking lot, but why? There are many benefits to this paving material – let’s explore!
1. Asphalt Pavement Is Durable
Asphalt pavement is one of the most durable paving materials available. It is engineered to withstand heavy traffic and extreme weather conditions. These pavements can last for decades with proper maintenance.
2. It’s Low-Maintenance
It requires little maintenance compared to other paving materials. It does not require sealing or resurfacing as often as concrete or stone pavements. Additionally, asphalt pavement is less likely to crack or chip than other pavements.
3. It’s Recyclable
Asphalt pavement is 100% recyclable. You can reuse it in new asphalt pavements or roofing applications such as road base material or shingles.
4. It’s Cost-Effective
Asphalt pavement is a cost-effective paving option for both residential and commercial applications. It is less expensive to install than concrete or stone pavements and can last many years with proper maintenance.
5. It’s Easy to Install
It’s easy to install compared to other paving materials. It can be installed quickly and efficiently by experienced professionals. Additionally, you can install asphalt pavement in various weather conditions.
6. It Has a Smooth Surface
Asphalt pavement has a smooth surface that provides a comfortable driving experience for motorists. It is also less likely to cause damage to tires than other types of pavements.
7. It’s Quiet
It’s much quieter than concrete or stone when vehicles are driven over it. This can be beneficial for residential and commercial applications where noise levels are a concern.
8. It’s Attractive
Asphalt pavement can be made to look attractive in various colors and designs. That makes it a popular choice for both commercial & residential applications.
9. Provides Good Traction
Asphalt pavement is safe for both pedestrians and vehicles. It provides good traction and is slip-resistant, making it ideal for areas prone to inclement weather conditions.
How Long Does the Asphalt Pavement Last?
Asphalt pavement is a popular choice for many commercial and residential applications. Its durability and low maintenance costs make it an attractive option for roads, driveways, and parking lots. But how long does asphalt pavement last? The answer depends on several factors, including the type of asphalt mix, the climate, and the amount of traffic.
However, asphalt pavements can last for decades with proper care. Regular sealcoating and crack filling can help prolong the pavement’s life, and regular inspections can help unearth any potential problems before they become serious. With proper care, asphalt pavement can provide years of trouble-free service.
Maintenance Tips for Asphalt Pavement
Asphalt pavement is one of the most durable and long-lasting paving materials available. However, even asphalt pavement requires regular maintenance to extend its lifespan & keep it looking its best.
Some of the most important maintenance tasks that should be performed on asphalt pavement include the following:
1. Seal Coating
Seal coating is a process in which a protective bituminous coating is applied to the surface of the asphalt pavement. This coating helps protect the asphalt from the sun’s ultraviolet rays, water, and other elements that can cause damage. Seal coating should be performed every two to three years or as needed.
2. Crack Filling
Crack filling is a process in which cracks in the surface of the asphalt are filled with a sealant material. This helps to prevent water from entering the cracks, which can cause further damage to the pavement. Crack filling should be performed every year or as needed.
3. Pothole Repair
Potholes are depressions in the surface of the asphalt that can occur due to weathering or traffic. Pothole repair involves filling the potholes with asphalt patching material. Pothole repair should be performed as needed.
4. Surface Cleaning
Surface cleaning helps to remove dirt, debris, and other materials that can build up on the surface of the asphalt over time. You can clean surfaces with a power washer, broom, or blower. Surface cleaning should be performed as needed.
Read more on asphalt maintenance and rehabilitation.
Asphalt pavement is a popular choice for commercial and residential applications because it is easy to install, repair, and maintain. It is also slip-resistant and provides good traction, making it safe for pedestrians and vehicles. Asphalt pavement can be made to look attractive in various colors and designs.
Is the driveway or parking lot looking a little worse for wear?
Not only will your driveway or parking lot look amazing, but it will also be much more durable and resistant to wear and tear. So why wait?